CMHA-NL is pleased to announce that we have received funding from the Canada Post Foundation to implement a provincial seniors’ mental health education program in Newfoundland and Labrador. This program is in development and will be launched in the near future. Please check back soon for further details.
Watch a video about: Seniors and Depression (sorry under construction!!)
Click on the link above to watch CMHA-NL's educational video about seniors and depression in long term care. (Length: 18 minutes).
About the video: First launched in October 2008, the video was developed to address a need in this province to help front-line health care providers better understand depression in seniors. Although it was originally intended for long term care settings, it is a useful educational tool for seniors, family members and caregivers, health care providers and others in many different settings.
Online Resources For more information on seniors’ mental health, visit the following online resources:
- Aging and Mental Health (CMHA National)
- Living Life To the Full (CMHA Ontario Division)
- The Canadian Coalition for Seniors Mental Health (CCSMH) has a great series of user-friendly educational guides for seniors and their families. All of the booklets are in PDF format and are free of charge to download. Click here to visit the CCSMH website and read the booklets
- Here to Help: Seniors' Mental Health and Substance Use Issues – Fact Sheet
- Seniors and Depression: An Educational Video – Report on the Pilot Evaluation
- The Mental Health Needs of an Aging Population